Micro and Small Business Development.
MSM is offering microenterprise and small business development workshops to help low-income and limited English proficient individuals achieve self-sufficiency and move out of poverty.
Micro and small business development workshops:
- an innovative path out of poverty;
- self-employment and/or job creation; and
- financial stability and capital accumulation through self-employment.
Micro and small business development leads to:
- increase in self-esteem;
- reduced reliance on public assistance; and
- positive impact on family, community, and local economy.
This is especially true for immigrants and refugees with limited English proficiency. Immigrants and refugees bring many positive attributes and diverse array of business understanding, ideas, skills, experiences, and a strong desire to succeed. And, given the appropriate education and assistance, many immigrants and refugees will thrive in their new businesses endeavors, as seen by many MSM clients.
MSM is currently partnering with the City of Lakewood to provide construction related training and how to apply for government contracts.
To learn more about upcoming workshops, please contact MSM.
MSM provides Financial Literacy education because financial literacy is crucial to long-term economic security and capital accumulation.
MSM offers formal instruction in:
- Money Math;
- Money basics;
- Credit in a money world;
- Saving basics;
- Money for life; and
- Achieving financial security.
To find out when the next course is offered, eligibility requirements, or to enroll in a course, please contact MSM.
Free Tax Preparation Services
MSM in partnership with the Internal Review Service and the Korean American Association of Tacoma and Federal way provides free personal income tax preparation services. The service is provided to help immigrants, refugees, and low-income families keep more of their hard-earned money and avoid paying unnecessary fees for commercial tax preparation and "rapid refund" loans.
- Be advised that clients are served on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Everyone who wishes to receive free income tax preparation services will be expected to fill out an in-take form.
- Service is available annually from January to mid April. For exact times, please view the schedule.
Interpreter and translation services are provided, as needed, by MSM's multi-lingual and multi-cultural staff in Korea, East European languages, and Spanish.
If you have any questions, please contact MSM during normal business hours from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday.